True Secrets of Freemasonry

Those who become Freemasons only for the sake of finding out the secret of the order, run a very great risk of growing old under the trowel without ever realizing their purpose. Yet there is a secret, but it is so inviolable that it has never been confided or whispered to anyone. Those who stop at the outward crust of things imagine that the secret consists in words, in signs, or that the main point of it is to be found only in reaching the highest degree. This is a mistaken view: the man who guesses the secret of Freemasonry, and to know it you must guess it, reaches that point only through long attendance in the lodges, through deep thinking, comparison, and deduction.

He would not trust that secret to his best friend in Freemasonry, because he is aware that if his friend has not found it out, he could not make any use of it after it had been whispered in his ear. No, he keeps his peace, and the secret remains a secret.

Giovanni Giacomo Casanova, Memoirs, Volume 2a, Paris, p. 33

Friday, November 30, 2007

Guest Editorial: Culture Shock






This is the first guest editorial for the Beacon of Masonic Light. The author, Br. Peterson is a member of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina.


Culture Shock:
a state of bewilderment and distress experienced by an individual who is suddenly exposed to a new, strange, or foreign social and cultural environment.


When I was in the military we would have to attend long periods of instruction before deploying to a foreign land. The instruction covered the customs, traditions, languages and other aspects of the cultures we were sent to destroy... I mean sent to operate in.
This was done to prepare the military members in a way that reduced culture shock.

Culture shock is a very powerful mental state. It causes unwarranted aggression, depression, and a host of other illnesses.
Awhile back I realised I was suffering from this state of mind from an unlikely source, the internet. Logging on to the internet I traveled to foreign lands where Masonry is conducted a bit differently than in the comfort of my home land. I witnessed Masonic cultures that did not fit into my limited world view.

No one gave me a class to be prepared for this new and challenging environment. No one hinted that there were other ways of doing things. I jumped in unprepared and under the effects of this illness I lashed out at the very foreigners I chose to interact with.
I have since regained control of my own mind, and now happily speak the language eat some of the food (some I can't stomach, but I won't judge them for enjoying it), and join in their activities.

By conquering my culture shock I gained a greater appreciation for the wonderful differences the world has to offer.
So the next time you see a Newbe, fresh from his third degree and rampaging through our village, remember that he may be ill and in need of assistance. This assistance may mean forcefully restraining him, but more especially it means he needs education of OUR culture and time to adjust to it.

Br. Arthur Peterson

Lodgeroom US
May the Blessings of heaven rest upon us and all regular masons. May brotherly love prevail, and every moral and social virtue, cement us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother Peterson,
Great post, really great post, I am a newbe in Freemasonry and I am glad to have so many great brothers online who can be online mentors through their blogs (in addition to the many mentors in my own lodge). I think these blogs help to better build a brother in Freemasonry by making them think and defend their points. And yes I have been aggressive with some of my points (especially those points pertaining to the obligation which i hold very dear to me) because I am a newbe to Freemasonry, and Freemasonry on the net. I have no disageements with you Brother Peterson and think that this is a very accurate post, kudos to you!

-Freethinker

Virginia Mormon said...

Join me on The Voice of Freemasonry at http://thevoiceoffreemasonry.blogspot.com/ for more lively conversations and for more information about the wonderful world of Freemasonry.

 
/* Blog Catalog Code ----------------------------------------------- */ Philosophy Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory /* End Blog Catalog Code ----------------------------------------------- */